Early orthodontic treatment (orthopaedics) usually begins before the eruption of all the adult teeth.
Dr Westmore will aim to guide the growth of the jaws to make adequate space for the eruption of all the permanent teeth. Children should be evaluated around the age of nine to see if there is a bone problem (orthopaedic) or a tooth problem (orthodontic).
There are many positive reasons for your child to be assessed early for possible alignment and space problems, including to:
- Improve profiles, smiles and self esteem
- Correct harmful habits, such as thumb sucking and tongue thrusting
- Improve speech and reduce airway constriction
- Reduce the time in fixed braces and frequently eliminates the need for the extraction of permanent teeth
- Increase nasal breathing
- Create beautiful broad smiles